Shoes were made in this building in Victorian times, but it has been a men's clothes shop for many years. John Buckle opened his menswear shop here in 1923, providing made-to-measure suits. On his retirement his son Philip continued the business, followed in 1983 by Geoff Souster who attracted a number of celebrity clients including comedian Eric Morecambe.
In the 1860s James Lester had begun a boot and shoe-making business in the premises and stayed for 20 years. Another shoemaker, Thompson Smallwood, bought the building in 1889. It was damaged in the great fire in Middle Row in 1893. During the First World War the Misses Annie and Louisa Gaisford had a shop here.
Text: John Buckledee of Dunstable and District Local History Society. ©
Design: David Turner.
Narration: Catherine Maile of Dunstable Repertory Company.
Recording: David Hornsey.
Website developer: Joshua Buckledee.