Tilley's Meat Shop

Generations of butchers in 17th century building


The old butcher's shop building next door dates back to at least the 1640s. It was a well-known butcher’s shop for many generations. Earlier butchers here included Eli Sibthorpe and George Costin, whose slaughterhouse was just behind the shop in an area named, impressively, Hampton Court.

Mr Costin also owned horse-drawn vehicles which were used for outings. His son and grandson developed this side of the businesses into the well-known firm Costin Coaches.

Harry Tilley bought the butcher business in 1926 and his family continued here until May 1992. His son, Victor, and grandson, Mike, both took a very active part in the life of the town. Mike was elected to Dunstable Council and was made Mayor of the town in 1990.

Text: John Buckledee of Dunstable and District Local History Society. ©
Design: David Turner.
Narration: Chris Young of Dunstable Repertory Company.
Recording: David Hornsey.
Website developer: Joshua Buckledee.